Plan your trip in advance. The more you plan, the more you can save. Do your research on flights, accommodation, activities, and transportation. There are many websites and apps that can help you plan your trip, such as Skyscanner, Hostelworld, and Wikitravel. Opens in a new windowSkyscannerchevron_rightSkyscanner website
Travel during the off-season. Flights, accommodation, and activities are often cheaper during the off-season. This is especially true for popular tourist destinations.
Stay in hostels. Hostels are a great way to save money on accommodation. They are also a great way to meet other travelers. Opens in a new windowHostelworldHostel room
Cook your own meals. Eating out can be expensive, especially if you are traveling for an extended period of time. Cooking your own meals is a great way to save money. There are many affordable grocery stores in most countries.
Take advantage of free activities. There are many free activities that you can do in most countries. These activities can include visiting museums, walking tours, and exploring local parks and markets. Opens in a new windowTourScannerFree walking tour
Here are some additional tips to help you save money while backpacking:
- Avoid expensive activities. Some activities, such as skydiving and whitewater rafting, can be expensive. If you are on a budget, it is best to avoid these activities.
- Bargain with vendors. In many countries, it is customary to bargain with vendors. This is especially true for souvenirs and other items that are sold by street vendors.
- Get a local SIM card. This will allow you to use your phone for calls, text messages, and data. It is much cheaper than using roaming charges.
- Use public transportation. Public transportation is a great way to get around and save money. In many countries, public transportation is very affordable.
- Pack light. The lighter your pack, the easier it will be to travel. You will also save money on baggage fees.
Backpacking around the world can be an amazing experience, but it can also be expensive. By following these tips, you can save money and still have a great time.